A household move can be hectic. The day can go more smoothly, however, if you plan and make good decisions.
To ensure a smooth moving day, do some preparation. Here are ten tips to help you plan for your moving day.
- Prepare a written to-do list for the day well ahead of time so that you know where to begin when you get up on moving day.
- If you’ve decided to do your own packing, complete all of it ahead of time except your toiletries. You should even have most of your essentials box packed ahead of time.
- Pack a box of cleaning supplies for immediate use in your new home. Take this box with you.
- Pack personal documents in a safe box and transport them with you, if possible.
- If you live in an apartment or condominium building, check with the building staff ahead of time to ensure you can use the elevator and that the moving van has a place to park. Even if you live in a single-family home, you should alert neighbors of your move ahead of time and be sure the mover has a place to park.
- Have the utilities turned off in your old house AFTER your moving day. Moving may take longer than you anticipated, and having the power cut off in the middle of it may not be helpful.
- Make arrangements for your children and pets. If you can, have them stay with a neighbor or friend during most of the move. If not, be sure to create a safe room for them.
- You’ll want electricity in your new home on moving day, but schedule cable, phone, and Internet for a day after your moving day to avoid being overwhelmed.
- Make sure your car is tuned-up and ready for travel.
- Fully charge your phone.
Moving Day Tips
You can also take some actions on the day of your move to keep it operating smoothly. Here are 12 tips for the day of your move.
- Wake up early. Allow plenty of time for a hearty breakfast and for packing last-minute items.
- Wear comfortable clothes and sturdy shoes.
- Put your essentials box in your vehicle so the movers won’t accidentally load it into their truck.
- Check the bill of lading to ensure it matches the terms of your original service order.
- Walk through the house after the van is packed to ensure you’re not leaving anything behind.
- Write down the meter readings when you leave and compare the numbers with your final bill when you receive it.
- Before you leave, give the movers your mobile number in case either of you gets lost during the move.
- When you arrive at your new home, do a walkthrough to be sure everything is where you expect it to be.
- Stay organized. Ensure the movers put each box in the right room and avoid putting boxes in the attic or basement. You’re less likely to unpack them once you can no longer see them.
- Unpack the essential items first.
- Stay hydrated and fed.
- Plan something relaxing or celebratory to mark the end of the day.
Planning Your Move?
If you are planning your move, we can assist. We can help with everything from packing to transport and much more. Contact us today for a free quote.