Ideally, a person has plenty of time to plan a move, but sometimes things happen. Unfortunately, you can do nothing about the unexpected except try your best. Moving on short notice may feel challenging, but using the right strategy, it’s doable. Here are some tips that will help when faced with relocating in a hurry.
1. Make a Moving List
As soon as you know you’re moving, set your timeline and start a list of everything you need to do. Important tasks include:
- Setting a precise moving date
- Booking movers for your date
- Packing your home or apartment
- Opening, closing, or transferring utilities
- Putting in a change of address with the USPS
- Changing address with banks, employers, schools, and other vital entities
- Planning a cleaning schedule
Since you only have a brief period to pull everything together, you want to begin your organization ASAP and prioritize tasks. This way, you set yourself up for success by staying on track.
2. Book Your Mover
You want to book your mover as soon as possible for the best availability and prices. This is especially the case if you’re moving during peak season. Moving time slots tend to fill quickly, so start scheduling estimates immediately.
3. Collect Packing Materials
You’ll want to begin assembling packing materials to have boxes ready when you start packing.
- Check with family, friends, colleagues, or neighbors for extra moving materials
- Collect sturdy boxes in various sizes
- Collect packing tape, bubble wrap, and packing paper
- Gather soft materials, such as towels or clothing, to pad breakable items
- Ensure you have a thick, dark marker and labels for your moving boxes
Plan to buy whatever else you need. Don’t waste time on freebies if you’re struggling to find any. With a short-notice move, you’ll want to start right away.
4. Determine Your Essentials
Create a list of the necessities you will require in the initial days following your relocation before packing. You should keep these essentials on hand if you cannot immediately access your belongings at your new home. Include things like:
- Toilet paper
- Cleaning supplies
- Electronics chargers
- Change of clothes
- Paper plates and utensils
Then, when you start packing, place these items in an essentials box. Label that box appropriately, and keep it with you in your car during the move.
You should also separate valuable items like jewelry, social security cards, birth certificates, and other sentimental items from your other belongings. Additionally, put these in boxes and label them. Set them aside and load them into your car instead of the moving truck.
5. Start Packing and Labeling
When you have some boxes, begin packing items you won’t need between now and the move. Set a goal to fill a handful of boxes daily. This helps to speed up your moving timeline and relieve some stress. Clearly label each completed box so there is no confusion when the movers get them to your new home.
6. Recruit Family and Friends to Help
Completing a short-notice move is difficult, especially if you work, attend school, or have children. If you have extended family members and friends willing to help, don’t be shy about accepting it. The more hands you have, the easier it’ll be to complete your tasks.
Moving on short notice can be challenging. To obtain a free quote for your move, contact us today. We’re happy to help!